Article by Don Herperger
Published Online September 19, 2012
Last Edited March 4, 2015
The first settlers appear to have been ranchers. By 1903, settlers were taking up homesteads near Elbow, and by the end of the decade, lands in Elbow were extensively occupied. The CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY, which arrived in 1908, has accounted for the continued existence of the village. THe level of activity in the community increased with the long-anticipated South Saskatchewan River Dam Project in 1958. The completion of Gardiner Dam and Qu'Appelle Dam a decade later, created Lake Diefenbaker, which provides irrigation and recreation in the area, making Elbow a popular tourist destination.
Grain Elevators of Canada
Photo by Adam Bouvier
There is one grain elevator remaining in Elbow, Saskatchewan. It was built in 1913 and was owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool until it was sold to the Village in 2007. The elevator was upgraded in 1957 and received new scales in 1974. As part of the sale, the Pool removed the annex and did some repairs and reshingling before transferring the elevator to the Village.
The Red Tin Roof was added in the 2021.